New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College softball team split a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader to Suffolk University on Tuesday afternoon at Shea Stadium. The Falcons cruised past the Rams in game one, 8-1, but fell short in the nightcap 7-2.
FINAL (G1: Albertus Magnus 8 | Suffolk 1
FINAL (G2): Suffolk 7 | Albertus Magnus 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (14-16, 3-7) | Suffolk (17-14, 7-3)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
Albertus Magnus' second stanza one-run lead tripled in the third and blossomed to 7-0 in the fifth. During that time, four different players – Madison LaBossiere (Griswold, Conn.), Madison Murphy (Milford, Conn.), Aubrey DeFoe (Watertown, Conn.) and Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.) – registered an RBI for the Falcons while DeFoe drove in two of the three runs in the top of the third.
The Rams remained scoreless and without a hit until the home half of the fifth when McKenzie McGrath erased the no-hitter with a double.
An inning later Suffolk punched through the scoring and eliminated the shutout as Caitlin Murphy crossed home thanks to Grace Boehler's single up the middle. Albertus Magnus kept the damage there to maintain the six-run, 7-1 cushion.
A two-out, one-run double from Stettinger in the top of the seventh put seven runs, 8-1, back between the two teams.
KEY STATS (G1)
- Junior Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) picked up the decision behind a complete-game effort. The Falcons' starter put together a one-run, three-hit, two-walk, three-strikeout performance.
- Stettinger led the offensive attack with three hits and two RBI while DeFoe chipped in two hits and RBI of her own.
- Boehler went 1-for-2 at the plate and brought in the Rams' only run.
- Hannah DelCervo suffered the setback for Suffolk after giving up three runs on five hits and three walks over 2.2 innings of work.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G2)
Anderson kicked off the nightcap with a solo shot to left field for her fourth home run of the season, giving the Falcons a one-run cushion. Shortly after, Ashley Zulla gave the Rams' their first lead of the day, 3-2, following a three-run homer to right in the bottom of the first.
In the top of the second, senior Kristin Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) cut the deficit to one, 3-2, as the right fielder doubled to right center allowing Murphy to score and keeping the Falcons' alive.
Albertus and Suffolk went quiet for the next four innings until a four-run, three hit inning by the Rams put the game away, 7-2.
KEY STATS (G2)
- Freshman Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) suffered the loss for Albertus after giving up seven runs (two earned) over 6.0 innings.
- Five players from Suffolk tallied a team-high two hits while Zulla finished with a game-high three RBI.
- Cunning and Anderson finished with a hit and a RBI each.
- Kennedy Reyes earned her eighth win of the season after holding the Falcons to two runs on four hits over 7.0 innings.
Albertus returns to the diamond on Wednesday, April 24 with a road GNAC doubleheader against Anna Maria College. Game times are set for 3PM and 5PM.