Weston, Mass. – The Albertus Magnus College softball team concluded the 2019 regular season with a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader sweep over Regis College on Saturday afternoon at the Regis Softball Field. The Falcons claimed the opener in five innings by a score of 9-1 before taking the nightcap from the Pride, 10-2.
FINAL (G1): Albertus Magnus 9 | Regis 1 – 5 innings
FINAL (G2): Albertus Magnus 10 | Regis 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (19-16, 8-7) | Regis (4-30, 1-15)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
The Falcons came out of the gate swinging, scoring in every inning in the shortened mercy rule contest.
Junior Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) started things off scoring the first run of the game on a RBI single down the right field line before Madison LaBossiere (Griswold, Conn.) doubled the Falcons lead in the top of the second after recording her fifth double of the season.
Freshman Kayla Resto (Shelton, Conn.) kicked off the top of the third recording her first collegiate home run to give the Falcons a three-run cushion.
Albertus pushed its lead to 6-0 as Resto and Anderson highlighted the inning with a pair of RBI.
The Prides' lone run of the game came in the bottom of the fourth as Ellery Rasmussen homered to center field.
In the top of the fifth, LaBossiere and Resto scored the final two runs needed to seal the win for the Albertus.
KEY STATS (G1)
- Resto went 3-for-3 with three RBI and two runs scored while LaBossiere also went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and three RBI.
- The Pride were only able to get three hits in the contest, those coming from Rasmussen, Brianna Napoleone and Emma Kelly.
- Anderson (W, 11-4) got the win on the mound after her five innings of work. She allowed just three hits with one run scored and three strikeouts.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G2)
Regis jumped out to an early 1-0 lead behind an RBI double from Sarah Fawcett. Albertus evened the score in the top of the third as Anderson singled to center allowing Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.) to score.
Albertus continued to swing the bat and scored an additional six runs in the top of the fifth behind back-to-back home runs from Marissa Guglielmi (Branford, Conn.) and Cunning as well as a two-run RBI single from Madison Murphy (Milford, Conn.).
Regis broke its scoreless drought in the bottom of the sixth behind a RBI single from Napoleone, but it wasn't enough to start the comeback.
KEY STATS (G2)
- Freshman Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) earned the win on the mound for the Falcons and improved to 6-9 on the year. She allowed two runs on 10 hits while striking out three.
- At least nine players from Albertus registered a hit, including a three-hit performance from Cunning.
- Guglielmi recorded a team-best three RBI while Murphy added two of her own.
- Rasmussen led the Pride with two hits over three at bats and two runs scored.