Link: Box Score
New London, Conn. - Led behind four double-digit performances, including a team-high 23 points from Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) and a double-double from Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.), 11 points and 10 rebounds, the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team improved to 12-1 on the season as the Falcons defeated in-state foe Mitchell College, 79-58, on Saturday afternoon in non-conference play at the Yarnell Athletic Center.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus College 79 | Mitchell College 58
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (12-1) | Mitchell College (5-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Albertus Magnus used an early 8-0 run to grab the lead and never looked back.
- Johnson, who attacked the basket for much of the game, supplied six points during the stretch and had 12 in the quarter.
- The Falcons led by six after one period and extended the margin to double digits by halftime.
- Johnson amassed 17 points before the break as Albertus Magnus led 41-31 at intermission.
- Alberts Magnus put the game away with a big third quarter, outscoring Mitchell 20-9 en route to a 61-40 lead heading into the final period.
- The Falcons also forced nine turnovers in the stanza and limited the Mariners to just 21-percent shooting.
- Mitchell, which trailed by as many as 23 in the fourth quarter, cut the deficit to 17 behind an 8-2 stretch.
- That would be as close as the Mariners would get, however, as the Falcons cruised to the finish.
- Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) and Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) combined for 16 points in the second half to fuel the visitors' offense.
- Jill Johnson – 23 Points (8-14 FG, 7-11 FT) | 4 rebound | 4 assists | 4 steals
- Shyla Osmond – 17 Points (8-18 FG, 0-5 3PT, 1-3 3PT) | 8 rebounds | 4 assists | 2 steals
- Rah Rah Thompson - 11 points (5-10 FG, 1-1 FT) | 10 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 steal
- Raegon Shirling-Davis– 10 Points (3-7 FG, 1-2 3PT, 3-4 FT) | 8 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 block
- Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) - 8 points (4-11 FG) | 10 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 blocks
- Kelsey Hernandez – 14 Points | 8 rebounds | 2 assists
- Amina Wiley – 12 Points | 12 rebounds | 3 steals
- Le'Sandra Turner – 10 Points | 26 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 block
Albertus opens up GNAC play on January 8 with a home showdown against Anna Maria College beginning at 5 p.m.