Link: BOX SCORE
Weston, Mass. - Led behind a trio of double-digit scorers as well as a double-double from junior Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball defeated Regis (Mass.) College, 72-60, Saturday afternoon at Higgins Court in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus College 72 | Regis (Mass.) College 60
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (20-3, 8-2) | Regis (Mass.) (9-14, 5-5)
ALL-TIME SERIES: With today's win, Albertus ties Regis (Mass.) in the all-time series record 3-3.
- Following today's 26-point performance, Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) is now 47 points away from scoring her 1,000th career point.
- Osmond will be the 15th player in program history to hit the 1,000th-point milestone.
- Albertus is now 10-3 on the road.
- This is Thompson's 16th double-double of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Regis opened regulation with the early 5-2 edge before battling Albertus through four ties.
- During that battle, the Falcons took their first lead of the game at the 7:29 mark on a made layup from Osmond.
- With the score evened at 12-12, Regis went on a 6-0 scoring run that pushed its lead to 18-12.
- Shortly after, a layup from Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) stop the hosts' run as well as sparked a Falcons' run that gave the visitors a one-point lead, 19-18, with 1:24 left on the clock.
- However, a three from Chayla Louro gave Regis a two-point edge, 21-19, entering the second.
- Junior Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) kicked off the quarter with a two-point play to even the score at 21-21 less than a minute in.
- Albertus fed off the two-points from Thompson and put together a 15-2 run that extended the Falcons' lead to double-digits 36-23 with 3:03 remaining.
- Regis closed out the half cutting the visitors' lead to within seven, 38-31.
- Regis got off to a great start as the Pride battled back to within one, 40-39, after putting together a 9-2 run that was sparked by a layup from Taylor Iorfino.
- Despite the threat, Albertus remained in control over the next five minutes of play and would hold a two-point lead, 50-48, at the end of the third.
- Albertus began to put the game out of reach for the Pride opening the fourth and final quarter with an impressive 13-4 run, 63-52.
- Regis was unable to secure a late comeback falling to the Falcons in a crucial GNAC showdown.
- Shyla Osmond – 26 Points (12-22 FG, 2-5 3PT) | 4 rebounds | 1 assist | 3 steals
- Rah Rah Thompson – 20 Points (6-14 FG, 1-1 3PT, 7-8 FT) | 13 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 1 block
- Jill Johnson – 17 Points (4-14 FG, 0-2 3PT, 9-12 FT) | 9 rebounds | 4 assists | 4 steals
- Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) – 4 points (2-7 FG) | 9 rebounds | 2 blocks
- Nikki Bitinaitis – 14 Points | 5 rebounds | 4 assists | 1 steal
- Maura Russell – 11 Points | 2 rebounds | 1 assist
- Sam D'Angelo – 12 points | 6 rebounds | 3 assists
- Taylor Iorfino – 6 points | 11 rebounds | 3 assists
Albertus returns home on Tuesday, Feb. 12 as the Falcons host GNAC foe Johnson & Wales University. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. at "The Nest".