Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – Junior guard Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team joined the 1,000 career points club in the Falcons' home win over sixth-seeded Regis College, 82-74, Tuesday evening at "The Nest" in a quarterfinal game of the 2019 Great Northeast Athletic Conference Women's Basketball Tournament.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus College 82 | Regis College 74
RECORDS: #3 Albertus Magnus (23-3) | #6 Regis (Mass.) (11-15)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) hit a three-pointer to open the game and give Albertus a lead it would relinquish only once in the first quarter on a Pride layup that tied the game at 6-6.
- Layups by Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) and Shirling-Davis allowed the Falcons to quickly retake the lead, 10-6.
- Albertus would maintain that advantage through the rest of the quarter, entering the second with a 19-15 lead.
- Down 29-24, after a layup by Osmond, Regis went on to score five straight points to even the game at 29-29.
- The Falcons answered with five unanswered points of their own, but a traditional three-point play from Valerie Martin and a three-pointer by Maura Russell closed the Pride deficit to one, 36-35, heading into halftime.
- Katryna Veasey opened the second half with a layup to give the Pride their first lead of the game, 37-36, but the two teams would trade the lead for the next minute.
- Albertus reestablished its advantage, 45-41, on a three-pointer by Johnson and a jumper by Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.).
- After two free throws by Martin, the Falcons scored six straight points thanks to two baskets by Thompson and one by Osmond.
- The Pride battled back, putting together a 9-1 scoring run that tied the game at 52-52 with 1:33 left on the clock.
- Osmond made two free throws and Johnson hit a layup on the Falcons' final possession of the period to put the home team ahead after three quarters, 56-53.
- Martin hit two free throws three minutes into the fourth quarter to close the gap to two at 60-58.
- Albertus Magnus responded with an 18-4 scoring run over the next five minutes that effectively put the game away.
- Shyla Osmond – 24 Points (10-19 FG, 0-3 3PT, 4-4 FT) |7 rebounds | 5 assists | 2 steals
- Rah Rah Thompson – 18 Points (6-12 FG, 0-1 3PT, 6-8 FT) | 12 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 1 block
- Jill Johnson – 14 points (5-11 FG, 2-2 3PT, 2-4 FT) | 7 rebounds | 2 assists
- Raegon Shirling-Davis – 11 points (5-9 FG, 1-2 3PT) | 4 rebounds | 2 assists | 2 steals
- Valerie Martin – 28 Points | 13 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 steal
- Katryna Veasey – 15 Points | 3 rebounds
The third-seeded Falcons travel to Boston, Mass. on Thursday, February 21 to take on the second-seeded Emmanuel College Saints in the GNAC semifinals. Tip-off is set for 7pm.
Thursday, February 21 - Semifinals (at higher seeds)
Game 5: #4 Suffolk at #1 Saint Joseph's (Maine) - 5:00 PM
Game 6: #3 Albertus Magnus at #2 Emmanuel - 7:00 PM
Saturday, February 23 - Championship
Game 7: at highest remaining seed