Fitchburg, Mass. - Freshman guard Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.) netted a team and season-high 23 points as the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team earned its second win of the season defeating Fitchburg State University, 87-71, in non-conference play on Saturday afternoon at Parkinson Gymnasium.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 87 | Fitchburg State 71
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-2) | FItchburg State (1-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus struggled from the field early on, going scoreless from the field to sit in a 7-0 hole with two minutes eliminated from the first stanza. Senior Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) broke the visitors drought at the 8:19 mark to make the score 7-2.
Fitchburg State found themselves up nine, 13-4, following a short spurt, but Albertus countered back with a 11-2 run, sparked by a jump shot from Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.), evening the score at 15-15.
Both teams traded baskets over the remainder of the frame as the hosts held a three-point lead, 24-21, at the end of one.
The Falcons opened the second stanza with a 10-0 run to extend its lead to seven, 31-24, with 7:23 remaining. Despite Fitchburg State forcing two ties at the 5:56 and 1:57 mark, respectively, Albertus headed into intermission up eight, 46-38.
Out of the break, Albertus went on a 14-0 run, capped by a Cassie Couture (Waterbury, Conn.) three-pointer for the 60-38 lead. Fitchburg State answered back with a three ball from Samantha Maglione and a jumper from Lindsay McDonald to cut the deficit to 66-45.
Trailing 69-48 heading into the fourth quarter, Fitchburg State continued to chip away at the Falcons' double-digit lead. The Green and Gold cut the deficit to 78-55 on a pair of layups by Jadelen Harold, but the visitors secured the victory with freshman Beatriz Honorio (Bridgeport, Conn.) connecting on a jumper, resulting in the 87-71 final.
- Albertus Magnus - 46.7% FG (season-best) | 35.5% 3PT(season-best) | 66.7% FT
- Fitchburg State - 41.4% FG | 44.4% 3PT | 64.7% FT
- Albertus held a slim 41-37 margin on the glass.
- The Falcons scored 25 of its 87 points off turnovers.
- Fitchburg State posted a 17-15 edge in second chance points.
- The Falcons largest lead of the game came in the fourth quarter at the 7:51 mark.
- Kyah Nowlin - 23 points (9-19 FG, 5-15 3PT) | 2 rebounds | 1 assist | 3 steals
- Shyla Osmond - 22 points (10-20 FG, 2-6 3PT, 0-1 FT) | 6 rebounds | 9 assists | 1 steal
- Rah Rah Thompson - 16 points (6-10 FG, 1-1 3PT, 3-3 FT) | 9 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal | 1 block
- Cassie Couture - 11 points (4-11 FG, 3-8 3PT) | 2 rebounds | 2 steals
- Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) - 10 points (4-6 FG, 2-4 FT) | 10 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 block
- Samantha Maglione - 19 points (6-10 FG, 5-9 3PT, 2-3 FT) | 1 rebound | 1 steal
- Emma Thomson - 15 points (5-7 FG, 5-7 3PT) | 2 rebounds | 1 assist
- Jadelen Harold - 11 points (5-7 FG, 1-2 FT) | 11 rebounds | 3 assists
- Albertus: Andreah Orr (10 points, 10 rebounds)
- Fitchburg State: Jadelen Harold (11 points, 11 rebounds)
- This was the second meeting between the two teams.
- Albertus is now 2-0 all-time against Fitchburg State.
- Albertus set a new season-high in assists with 15.
- Couture tied her season-high in points with 11.
- Orr recorded her second double-double of the season.
- Osmond was three rebounds and an assist shy from recording a triple-double.
The women's basketball team returns to action on Tuesday, Nov. 26 with a road non-conference game against in-state foe Western Connecticut State University. Tip-off is set for 6PM in Danbury, Conn.