Danbury, Conn. - Senior guard Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) posted her first career triple-double (34 points, 10 assists, 11 rebounds) while teammate Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) recorded her second double-double (17 points, 13 rebounds) of the season as the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team defeated Western Connecticut State University, 71-63, in a non-conference showdown on Tuesday evening inside the Feldman Arena.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 71 | Western Connecticut State University 63
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-2) | Western Connecticut State University (2-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Osmond and Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) scored to give the Falcons a 4-0 edge that turned into a 10-7 lead at the 8:05 minute mark when Osmond buried her third bucket of the evening.
Shortly after, WCSU's Genesis Torres hit a deep three that sparked an 8-0 run that put the hosts up 15-10. Albertus put on the pressure and trailed by one, 17-16, at the end of one.
WCSU continued to build a comfortable cushion and held a 24-16 lead after opening the second stanza with a 7-0 run that was capped by a three from Torres. The Falcons countered back with nine straight points, including five from Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.), to regain the lead, 25-24, with 3:35 left on the clock.
However, WCSU regained control on offense and led by two, 28-26, at the half.
Albertus kicked off the scoring with four straight points to take its first lead of the second half, 30-28, just two minutes in. Midway through the third, Albertus and WCSU battled through three lead changes and a tie before the hosts found themselves up seven, 43-36 at the 1:15 mark.
Behind four points from Osmond and two from Thompson, Albertus cut the deficit to within four, 46-42, heading into the final 10 minutes of play.
The Colonials opened the fourth with an eight-point lead, 52-44, but a 16-2 run sparked by an Osmond jumper at the 7:40 mark put the visitors up 60-54, forcing WCSU to call a full timeout with 3:38 remaining.
Despite pressure from the hosts, the Falcons held on to secure the road victory, 71-63.
- Albertus Magnus - 43.3% FG | 5.9% 3PT | 75.0% FT
- Western Conn. St. - 31.0% FG | 28.2% 3PT | 61.5% FT
- Albertus held a slim 46-45 edge over WCSU in rebounds.
- The Falcons scored 36 of their 71 points in the paint.
- Both team registered 15 turnovers.
- Albertus outscored WCSU in second half, 45-35.
- Shyla Osmond - 34 points (13-27 FG, 0-3 3PT, 8-8 FT) | 11 rebounds | 10 assists | 4 steals | 1 block
- Rah Rah Thompson - 17 points (7-11 FG, 0-3 3PT, 3-4 FT) | 13 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 blocks
- Andreah Orr - 11 points (5-6 FG, 1-2 FT) | 5 rebounds | 4 blocks
Western Conn. St.:
- Genesis Torres - 13 points (4-15 FG, 4-14 3PT, 1-2 FT) | 5 rebound | 2 assists | 4 steals
- Gabrielle Hurlbert - 15 points (4-11 FG, 2-7 3PT, 5-6 FT) | 4 rebounds | 4 assists | 1 steal
- Jasmine Caldwell - 7 points (3-7 FG, 1-4 FT) | 10 rebounds | 1 assist
- Albertus: Shyla Osmond (34 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists) | Rah Rah Thompson (17 points, 13 rebounds)
- Western Conn. St.: None
- The Falcons tied its season-high seven blocks.
- Albertus recorded a season-low 14 fouls.
- This is the Falcons second straight win all-time against Western Conn. St.
- Albertus is now 2-7 all-time against the Colonials.
- Thompson recorded her second double-double of the season.
- Osmond scored 18 points over the final 10 minutes of play and played the full 40 minutes.
- Albertus is currently on a three-game winning streak.
The women's basketball team returns to action on Sun., Dec. 1 with a home non-conference game against Endicott College. Tip-off is set for 4PM in New Haven, Conn.