New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team kept its record perfect at home, 5-0, with an 83-58 win over the visiting Dolphins of the College of Mount Saint Vincent on Saturday afternoon in non-conference play inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
The Lady Falcons were led offensively by freshman Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.) who posted a team-high 22 points, four rebounds and four steals, while senior Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) registered her second triple-double of the season behind a season-high 13 assists, 11 rebounds and 14 points.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 83 | College of Mt. St. Vincent 58
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (7-2) | Mt. St. Vincent (6-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons came out of the gates on fire in the first quarter, storming out to a 17-4 lead after the first 5:50. Nowlin was outstanding to start the contest, scoring 10 of the Falcons' first 17 points with two three-pointers. The Stamford, Conn. native finished the first quarter with 13 points and three treys to lead Albertus to a 23-13 advantage after one.
Albertus maintained a double-digit lead for most of the second quarter, growing it to as high as 19 points, 43-24, following Rah-Rah Thompson's (Bridgeport, Conn.) first bucket of the day at the 1:14 mark of the period.
The Dolphins headed into halftime trailing the hosts, 43-26.
Osmond started off the second half with a bang, draining her first three-pointer of the game a minute into play. Shortly after, Cassie Couture (Waterbury, Conn.) and Osmond hit back-to-back shots to extend the Falcons' lead to 50-26 with 7:58 left to play.
With 5:30 remaining in the third, Thompson and Osmond sank consecutive jump shots, making the score 57-30. The Falcons added to their lead late in the third quarter, with a steal by Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) and a nice jumper by Jasmine St. Claire (Stratford, Conn.), bringing the score to 63-33, with Katherine Raposo (Warwick, R.I.) coming through with the assist.
Thompson opened the fourth quarter scoring with a lay-up ten seconds in, before Catherine Amodio swished a three-point jumper to get the Dolphins going. Thompson's bucket at the 9:51 mark was the Falcons largest lead of the day with 33, 69-36.
The Dolphins continued to chip away at the hosts lead and battled to within 23, 78-55, following a layup from Ashley Martin.
With less than two minutes remaining in regulation, the Falcons' Jah-Naisha Lee (Bridgeport, Conn.) scored an easy lay-up, bringing the Falcon lead to 80-55. Mt. St. Vincent was unable to get its offense going and Albertus claimed the non-conference win, 83-58.
- Albertus Magnus - 42.3% FG | 35.7% 3PT | 63.6% FT
- Mt. St. Vincent - 32.4% FG | 26.3% 3PT | 53.8% FT
- The Falcons won the battle on the boards, 54-48.
- The Dolphins held a 14-13 edge in second chance points.
- Albertus scored 34 of its points in the paint.
- Kyah Nowlin - 22 points (9-15 FG, 4-8 3PT) | 4 rebounds | 4 steals
- Shyla Osmond - 14 points (5-12 FG, 1-2 3PT, 3-5 FT) | 11 rebounds | 13 assists
- Rah-Rah Thompson - 14 points (5-8 FG, 1-1 3PT, 3-3 FT) | 17 rebounds | 1 steal | 1 block
- Andreah Orr - 11 points (5-11 FG, 1-3 FT) | 7 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 steals | 3 blocks
Mt. St. Vincent:
- Aria Rheams - 19 points (7-19 FG, 1-4 3PT, 4-4 FT) | 9 Rebounds
- DarNeisha Brice - 12 points (5-23 FG, 2-6 3PT) | 3 assists | 1 steal
- Ashley Martin - 8 points (4-7 FG) | 11 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Albertus: Shyla Osmond (14 points, 11 rebounds, 13 assists) | Rah-Rah Thompson (14 points, 17 rebounds)
- Mt. St. Vincent: None
- Albertus extended its all-time series record to 3-1 against Mt. St. Vincent.
- The Falcons are 2-0 all-time at home against the Dolphins.
- Albertus recorded a season-high in assists (22) and steals (9).
- Thompson collected her fifth double-double of the season.
- Nowlin shot a season-high 60% from the floor and 50% from behind the arc.
- Freshman Mariah Mandulak (Shelton, Conn.) made her second appearance of the season as well as netted her first collegiate three-pointer at the end of regulation.
The women's basketball team returns to the hardwood on Tuesday, Dec. 17 with a home non-conference showdown against Mitchell College. Tip-off is set for 5PM in New Haven, Conn.