The Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team earned the No. 5 seed in the upcoming 2020 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Tournament and will face the No. 4 seed Suffolk University in the quarterfinals on Tuesday, Feb. 25. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m. in Boston, Mass.
• This is the Falcons' sixth straight GNAC postseason appearance, extending their total to 19 overall.
• Albertus lost in last year's semifinal match-up against Emmanuel (Mass.) College, 78-72.
• The Falcons hold an all-time GNAC postseason record of 12-18.
• The Falcons are 1-3 against the Rams in the GNAC Tournament, the lone win being an 82-81 home quarterfinal in 2010.
• Albertus finished the regular season with an overall record of 18-7 and a conference mark of 8-3.
• The Falcons picked up critical wins over non-conference opponents Springfield College, Westfield State, and Salem State.
• Albertus was undefeated in December, going 5-0 in five home games.
• Following two losses to start the season, the Falcons reeled off eight straight wins before the start of 2020.
• After the New Year, the Falcons went 10-5 with victories over GNAC playoff teams Regis (Mass.) College, Johnson & Wales University, Colby-Sawyer College and Norwich University.
• The Falcons went 9-2 at home on the year and 9-4 on the road.
GNAC TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
Quarterfinals - Tuesday, Feb. 25 (at high seeds)
Game 1: #8 Norwich at #1 Emmanuel - 7:30 PM
Game 2: #5 Albertus Magnus at #4 Suffolk - 7:00 p.m.
Game 3: #6 Colby-Sawyer at #3 Regis - 6:00 PM
Game 4: #7 JWU at #2 Saint Joseph's Maine - 7:00 p.m.
Semifinals - Thursday, Feb. 27 (at high seeds)
Game 5: #4/5 winner vs. #1/8 winner
Game 6: #3/6 winner vs. #2/7 winner
Championship - Saturday, Feb. 29 (at highest remaining seed)
Game 7: At highest remaining seed
THIS YEAR VS. SUFFOLK
• The Falcons lost to Suffolk earlier this season in conference play, 65-59.
• Game (01/16/2020) Suffolk 65 | Albertus Magnus 59 - BOX SCORE
• Quick Highlights: Senior Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) led all players that game with 25 points. Senior Rah-Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) paced all players with 19 rebounds to go along with nine points. The Falcons out-rebounded the Rams by a 51-50 margin.
Points per Game: 65.1 PPG (3rd in GNAC)
Rebounds per Game: 40.7 RPG (11th in GNAC)
Assists per Game: 12.7 APG (6th in GNAC)
Scoring Defense: 54.4 PPG (1st in GNAC)
Suffolk Player & Team Highlights
• Senior Jenni-Rose DiCecco leads the Rams with a 15.1 points-per-game average and is third with 4.5 rebounds per game.
• On the defensive end of the court, DiCecco tops the conference with 81 steals.
• Senior Alexis Hackett is almost averaging a double-double this season with 10.1 points and a team-high 9.3 rebounds per game.
• Hackett paces the conference in 3-pointers made (50) and 3-point field-goal percentage (38.5).
• As a team, the Rams lead the GNAC in scoring defense (54.4 PPG), blocked shots per game (4.4), 3PT FG Defense (24.0%) and 3-pointers made (178).
Scouting Albertus Magnus
Points per Game: 72.6 PPG (1st in GNAC)
Rebounds per Game: 47.8 RPG (1st in GNAC)
Assists per Game: 13.8 APG (5th in GNAC)
Scoring Defense: 64.6 PPG (10th in GNAC)
Albertus Magnus Player & Team Highlights
• The Falcons are led this season by Osmond, who sits second nationally in triple-doubles (3), fourth in assists per game (7.0), and fifth in both points per game (22.9) and field goals made (206).
• Thompson has been one of the best rebounding players in all of Division III, ranking first in the country in defensive rebounds (10.0) and second in total rebounds per game (15.2). She is also second in D3 with 19 double-doubles.
• Albertus is tied for the league lead in blocked shots with Suffolk, as both teams own 110 rejections.
• The Falcons pace all GNAC programs with 72.6 points and 47.8 rebounds per game.