NEW HAVEN, CONN. - Seven different players scored, including a pair of hat tricks from Sophia Austin (East Hartford, Conn.) and Katherine Raposo (Warwick, R.I.), as the Albertus Magnus College women's soccer team shut down Northern Vermont University-Lyndon, 11-1, in non-conference play on Sunday afternoon at Celentano Field.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 11 | NYU-Lyndon 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-2) | NVU-Lyndon(0-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus lit the lamp early with Raposo completing a hat trick over the first 13 minutes of play to push the Falcons' advantage to 3-0.
Over the remainder of the first set of 45 minutes, freshman Amanda McGeehan (Milford, Conn.) and Austin struck once to send Albertus into the locker room up 5-0.
The Falcons maintained possession for the majority of the second stanza and found themselves up 10-0 behind four different scorers. During that run, Austin completed her first hat trick of the season as well as assisted Jenessa Perez's (Oxford, Conn.) goal at the 47th-minute.
With just over 29 minutes remaining, Eleanor Harrington erased the Falcons' shutout and put NVU-Lyndon on the scoreboard on a free ball.
The distance was too great for the Hornets to make-up as the Falcons maintained the lead to seal the 11-1 victory.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus: Cassidy Scofield (W, 3-2) - 1 Shot on Goal | 1 Save
- Albertus: Sammara Streater - 1 Shot on Goal | 1 Goal-Against
- NVU-Lyndon: Lauren Young (L, 0-1) - 21 Shots on Goal | 11 Goals-Against | 10 Saves
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Scofield and Streater each played one half in net for Albertus.
- Scofield earned the victory and improved to 3-2.
- Albertus outshot NVU-Lyndon by an impressive 26-4 margin.
- The Falcons also held the advantage in corner kicks, 7-0.
- Jessica Hillman paced the visitors' offense with two shots while Harrington and Madison Reardon added a shot each.
- Seven different Falcons registered at least two shots.
- Perez recorded her first collegiate point as a Falcon.
- Freshman Keegan Riccio (West Haven, Conn.) tied her season-high two points behind two assists.
- Sophomore Mercedes Faust (Warwick, R.I.) recorded her first assist of the season on Austin's first goal of the game.
- Rookie Kelly Duarte (Groton, Conn.) registered her first collegiate point on an assist.
- Raposo's hat trick was her second of the season.
- Sophomore's Haley Andrews (Prospect, Conn.) and Jordan Kikosicki (East Haven, Conn.) also scored for the Falcons.
The women's soccer team resumes play after a five-day break with a road GNAC game against Simmons University. Game time is set for 6PM in Boston, Mass.