Chicopee, Mass. - Despite a double-double performance from senior Marielis Muriel (New Haven, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team fell in four sets, 3-1, to SUNY Cobleskill on Saturday afternoon in non-conference play as part of the Blazer Invitational hosted by Elms College.
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-2) | SUNY Cobleskill (2-1)
MATCH FINAL: SUNY Cobleskill 3 | Albertus Magnus 1
MATCH SCORES: 25-17 (AMC), 25-10 (SUNY), 25-14 (SUNY) and 25-21 (SUNY)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus found themselves trailing the Fighting Tigers, 6-4, in the opening set until an attack error by SUNY gave the Falcons the spark needed to take control of the set, 13-6. SUNY Cobleskill tied the frame at 17-17 thanks to a kill by Rachel Burke, but the Falcons secured the first set victory, 25-17.
SUNY Cobleskill would take the next two sets from Albertus Magnus, 25-10 and 25-14, to hold a 2-1 lead heading into set four.
Albertus Magnus went down swinging in the final set as the Falcons forced four ties as well as brought the score to within one, 16-15, following an service error by the Fighting Tigers. However, SUNY Cobleskill would close out the match with a 9-6 run to improve to 2-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- SUNY Cobleskill finished the match with 39 kills and a .099 hitting percentage.
- Freshman Kimberly Keller (Bridgeport, Conn.) led the Falcons in kills with seven as well as in blocks with five.
- The Falcons' defense recorded a total of six blocks compared to the Tigers who had none.
- Karyn Knaul led SUNY Cobleskill with 10 kills while Kendra Webb and Mackenzie Holbert recorded double-doubles.
- Senior Marielis Muriel (New Haven, Conn.) posted her second straight double-double with 15 assists and 25 digs.
CAREER HIGH NOTES
- Sophomore Jesselle Guzman (Santa Teresa, N.M.) set a new career-high in digs with 26.
The Falcons return to action on Tuesday, Sept. 5 as the team hosts CCNY. First serve is set for 7 p.m. at the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center in New Haven, Conn.